Robbery prevention tips
A robbery prevention strategy can help you and your business reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim. Unlike burglary and theft, which are crimes against property, robbery is a crime against people.
Robbery is a crime that puts you, your employees and your customers in physical danger. In the U.S. alone, a commercial robbery is committed every four minutes. That's more than 100,000 robberies each year.
That's why establishing robbery prevention strategies is important, as they can be great deterrents to criminal behaviour.
Consider these robbery prevention tips to get started:
- Place security signs and stickers on points of entry to serve as deterrents to robbery.
- Be sure you have adequate lighting both inside and outside your business.
- Exterior lighting should illuminate dark areas around your building and parking lots.
- Interior lighting should be adequate enough to allow people outside your business to see people inside.
- Install silent alarms to notify police and give them a better chance to catch perpetrators.
- Install some form of cash register protection.
- Install security cameras, which not only serve as a robbery prevention tactic, but also help with identifying a robber after the robbery has been committed.
- Utilize a safe with a drop mechanism that allows you to make periodic drops during the day to help minimize the amount of cash in your registers. Always drop large bills immediately and publicize this to discourage potential robbers.
Call us at 855.958.8181 today to learn how TELUS Secure Business can help protect your business.