Keep your home safe while you’re away
Your security system and peace of mind
Like most of us, you wonder if your home is safe whenever you’re away. Leaving for a long vacation or a short weekend getaway? In addition to your security system, these steps will help protect your home and ensure your peace of mind.
- Display security signs to help deter would-be intruders. Put up an ADT lawn sign and plenty of stickers to show that your house is monitored by the #1 security company in the country. If you need more stickers or a yard sign, call us.
- Don’t announce you’re going away. Never mention on social media or other online platforms that you’re going away. Don’t leave a note on your door stating your absence. Criminals may take this as an opportunity to break in.
- Create the illusion that someone is at home. Arrange for a neighbour to leave a car in your driveway during your absence. Ask for your mail to be picked up so that it doesn’t pile up at your front door. Consider getting the lawn mowed while you’re away.
- Make sure your contact list is up-to-date. Call us and we’ll go through your contact list to make sure there’s at least one person who can check on your home while you’re away. If an incident occurs and we can’t reach you directly, we’ll be able to call someone you trust.
- Set up indoor and outdoor lighting. Use a timer for your indoor lights. As a result, they turn on automatically at night, making it seem that you’re at home. Also, outdoor lights equipped with motion sensors may discourage burglars from coming too close. ADT also offers an interactive lighting control module that can allow you to give the appearance that you're home even when you're not!
- Get a Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera from ADT. With the Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera, you can see if someone is at your door, even if you’re not there. Would-be intruders will often ring the doorbell to make sure no one is home. As soon as they press the doorbell, you’ll be notified on your smartphone. You’ll then be able to speak directly with the would-be intruder through the built-in speaker and make them think someone is home!
Follow these steps and you’re sure to enhance your home security and enjoy your time away from home!